OUR ONLINE PRIVACY NOTICE
The DEVCOM C5ISR Center website is provided as a public service by the Office of the Chief Information Officer and Strategic Communications and Engagements Office.
C5ISR Center is committed to protecting individual privacy and securing the personal information made available to the C5ISR Center when a user (“YOU”) visits http://c5isr.ccdc.army.mil (“OUR SITE”) as well as C5ISR Center pages on other sites, such as official C5ISR Center profiles on social networks.
We will revise or update this policy if our practices change, or as we develop better ways to keep you informed about the policy. You should refer back to this page often for the latest information and the effective date of any changes. If we change this policy, we will post a new policy on our site and change the date at the bottom of our site. Changes to the policy shall not apply retroactively.
If you have questions about this policy or suggestions for its improvement, please contact the C5ISR Center Strategic Communications and Engagements Office.
This policy is organized into the following sections:
- Information received and stored when you visit c5isr.army.mil
- 1.1. Basic information
- 1.2. Website Measurement and Customization Technologies (e.g., Cookies)
- 1.3 Personal information that you voluntarily submit to c5isr.army.mil
- Links on cerdec.army.mil to external sites
- Visiting official C5ISR Center pages on third-party websites
- Children and privacy on c5isr.army.mil
- Security of c5isr.army.mil
- Information received and stored when you visit the DEVCOM C5ISR Center website
When a computer is used to access information on our site, the following basic information is automatically received and stored by the C5ISR Center web servers hosting our site:
- Internet Protocol (IP) Address. A computer’s IP address establishes its location on the Internet and allows other computers, such as those hosting our site, to send it content and other information
- The Internet domain name when a computer accesses the internet through a domain, such as from a corporation or university
- The date, time and duration of a website visit
- If a computer accesses a page on our site via a link on another page, the URL of that referring, non cerdec.army.mil page
- Information about the computer set-up, such as the type and version of web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer 8.0, Mozilla Firefox 5.0), operating system (e.g., Unix, Mac OS, MS Windows), Java support (yes or no), Flash version (e.g., 10.1 r85), screen resolution (e.g., 1280×800) and connection speed (e.g., DSL, T1)
- The specific pages a computer accesses when it requests information from our site
- The amount of data (measured in number of bytes) transmitted from our site to a computer
C5ISR Center does not use this information to identify or track the browsing of individual users. We use it to generate aggregate statistics about how our site is used. We retain this information for a year. For example, server logs from June 2011 will be deleted in June 2012.
We do not sell, rent, exchange or otherwise disclose this information to persons or organizations outside the C5ISR Center Organization. In some cases, we may share the information with other federal agencies in response to lawful law enforcement requests or to protect our site from security threats.
- 1.2.1. First-party (cerdec.army.mil) Website Measurement and Customization Technologies
C5ISR Center uses web measurement and customization technologies to make our site function better for visitors and to better understand how the public is using the website.
This means that when you visit a page on our site, the Internet browser on your computer may download and save a small file, commonly called a “cookie,” from our site so that our site can recognize your specific computer and browser when you use our site in the future. C5ISR Center does not use technologies that track your interactions on non cerdec.army.mil websites.
Information on how to control these web measurement and customization technologies can be found in Section 1.2.3: Control website measurement and customization technologies.
These technologies fall into two categories based on the length of time they remain active:
- Single-session cookies last only as long as a web browser is open. Once the browser is closed, the data files on your computer are deleted.
- Multi-session cookies last beyond a single session of browsing a website; this allows a website to recognize a computer or user for a defined amount of time.
Our site uses the following web measurement and customization technologies defined and organized by the Office of Management and Budget’s “Guidance for Online Use of Web Measurement and Customization Technologies” (OMB M-10-22):
- Session cookies are used for technical purposes, such as enabling better navigation through the site, facilitating the use of user accounts and generating aggregated statistics about how the website is used. Under the framework of OMB M-10-22, this qualifies as a Tier 1 use.
- Persistent cookies are used to recognize a computer that has previously visited our site, which can improve a user’s experience, for example by continuing preference settings from previous visits.
These cookies collect information similar to those that automatically received and stored on the servers hosting our site; the cookies do not collect personal identifying information. C5ISR Center generally does not access or store the raw information collected through these cookies. We do view aggregate statistical analyses prepared by our third-party analytics provider, but these analyses do not include any personally identifiable information. We do not sell, rent, exchange or otherwise disclose this information to persons or organizations outside the C5ISR Center organization. In some cases, we may share information with other federal agencies in response to lawful law enforcement requests or to protect our site from security threats. As explained in section 1.2.3, you can control website measurement and customization technologies on our site.
Some pages on our site may include web content or functionality from third parties, such as embedded videos hosted by non-cerdec.army.mil services. For example, as of March 13, 2015, content or functionality from the following third parties may be present on some c5isr.army.mil pages:
These third parties may use web measurement and customization technologies (such as cookies) in conjunction with the provision of this content or functionality. You should consult the privacy policies of these third parties for further information. We do not knowingly use third-party tools that place a multi-session cookie prior to the user interacting with the tool, for example by playing an embedded video. If you become aware of a third-party tool on our site that places a multi-session cookie prior to any user interaction, please contact the C5ISR Center Strategic Communications and Engagements Office.
Visitors can control aspects of website measurement and customization technologies used on our site. Visitors who choose to disable these technologies will still have access to comparable information and services on our site.
One of the most common forms of website measurement and customization technologies is the use of “cookies.” You can choose not to accept cookies from any website, including our site, by changing the settings of your browser. You can also delete cookies stored in your browser at any time.
For more information about cookies, including how to delete them from your computer and configure your browser to refuse them from our site or any other site, visit the following resources:
Another form of website measurement and customization technology is the use of “flash cookies” that are created by Adobe Flash, a technology that powers web content such as videos. To manage these, visit the Website Storage Settings Panel on Adobe.com. Our site does not currently use first-party flash cookies, but they may be used by third-party technologies included in our site.
If you choose to provide us with personal information, for example by completing a “Contact Us” form, signing up for our email list or leaving a comment, we may use that information to respond to your message and/or to help us get you the information or services you requested. Submitting this personal information (name, address, telephone number, email address, etc.) is voluntary and is not required to access information on our site.
Information you voluntarily submit through our site, such as your name, city, state and comments on public issues, may be treated as public information. We may, for example, publish compilations of comments collected through our site or provide them to national leaders, members of the press or other individuals outside of the federal government. We exercise discretion to protect voluntarily submitted information if its disclosure would raise privacy concerns. Except as described above, we do not sell, rent, exchange or otherwise disclose this information to persons or organizations outside the C5ISR Center organization. In some cases, we may share information with other federal agencies in response to lawful law enforcement requests or to protect our site from security threats. Additionally, if you seek assistance on a matter within the jurisdiction of a federal agency, we may share your information with that agency for the limited purpose of addressing your request for assistance.
- Links on C5ISR.army.mil to External Sites
- Our site may contain links to websites created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations and individuals. Our site provides these links as a service to our users. When you follow a link to an external site, you are leaving our site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the external site. Our site does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained in a linked site. We also do not endorse the organizations or individuals maintaining sites to which we link, any views they express or any products or services they offer.
- Visiting Official C5ISr Center Pages on Third-Party Websites
- C5ISR Center maintains official pages or accounts on several third-party websites (a current list is below). Your activity on those third-party sites is governed by the security and privacy policies of the third-party sites. Users of third-party sites are often sharing information with the general public, user community and/or the third-party operating the third-party site. These actors may use this information in a variety of ways. Consequently, you should review the privacy policies of third-party sites before using them and ensure that you understand how your information may be used. You should also adjust privacy settings on your account on any third-party site to match your preferences.
- Information, including personally identifiable information, which you voluntarily submit to or publish on a C5ISR Center page on a third-party site may be treated as public information. We may, for example, publish compilations of comments collected through these C5ISR Center pages or provide them to national leaders, members of the press or other individuals outside of the federal government. We exercise discretion to protect voluntarily submitted information if its disclosure would raise privacy concerns. Except as described above, we do not sell, rent, exchange, or otherwise disclose this information to persons or organizations outside the C5ISR Center organization. In some cases, we may share information with other federal agencies in response to lawful law enforcement requests or to protect our site from security threats. Additionally, if you seek assistance on a matter within the jurisdiction of a federal agency, we may share your information with that agency for the limited purpose of addressing your request for assistance.
Below is the current list of official C5ISR Center pages on third party websites:
Video & Multimedia:
- Children and Privacy on C5ISR.army.mil
- Any information collected on children under 13 via our site, for example for educational outreach programs, is not stored on our site, but instead an email is generated upon completion of a form, and that form is to be sent directly by the user to the listed address.
- Security of C5ISR.army.mil
- We take reasonable precautions to protect our site and information automatically collected by our site or voluntarily submitted to our site or an official C5ISR Center page on a third-party site. For example, we restrict access to information collected by or submitted to our site or official C5ISR Center pages on third-party sites to employees who access it to perform their official duties. Access to official C5ISR Center accounts on third-party sites is limited to the staff who administers those accounts, and all official C5ISR Center accounts are clearly labeled. We also follow commonly used practices and technical controls to protect this information, along with our site itself.